The Daily Star, Oneonta, NY - otsego county news, delaware county news, oneonta news, oneonta sports

April 28, 2013

Three killed in Afton fire

--
The Daily Star

---- —

Staff Report

Three Afton residents, including an 11-year-old boy, died in a fire at their mobile home late Saturday night, state police at Sidney said Sunday.

Troopers identified the deceased as Craig A. Gohl, 11, Nathan J. Herbert, 45, and Anna M. Ebert, 54.

The fire appears to have started accidentally from smoking materials near a couch in the living room, according to a media release, and an investigation determined there were no working smoke alarms in the residence.

Herbert and Ebert were boyfriend and girlfriend, troopers said, but the relationship of the boy wasn't immediately known.

At 11:38 p.m. Saturday, the Afton and Bainbridge fire departments and troopers were called by Chenango County 911 to a house fire at 103 Warren Lane in the town of Afton, the release said. Firefighters found the mobile home engulfed in fire, troopers said, and crews were able to control and extinguish the fire in about 30 to 45 minutes.

A telephone message left Sunday night at a number listed online for Blane Reiling, chief of the Afton Fire Department, wasn't returned.

An investigation revealed that three people were deceased in bedrooms of the residence, troopers said, and autopsies conducted Sunday at Lourdes Hospital in Binghamton determined the deaths were caused by asphyxiation from smoke inhalation and carbon monoxide poisoning.

Crews from the Afton and Bainbridge volunteer fire departments, investigators from the State Office of Fire Prevention and Control, and the Chenango County Fire Investigation Team have assisted with the investigation, which continues, troopers said.