The Daily Star, Oneonta, NY - otsego county news, delaware county news, oneonta news, oneonta sports

Breaking News

January 17, 2013

SUCO fire ruled accidental

Displaced students still await housing plan

 

A malfunctioning electric plug strip caused the fire that displaced nearly 200 students from a SUNY Oneonta dormitory on Wednesday, according to a media release from the college this morning. 

An investigation by the City of Oneonta Fire Department ruled the fire accidental and determined that a faulty power strip in a third-floor bedroom was the cause of the fire, which triggered alarms in Matteson Hall at about 4 p.m. Wednesday. 

Cleanup is under way in the building, but additional testing and evaluation is needed to determine the full extent of the reconstruction needed, according to the release. 

Matteson Hall's 177 residents were evacuated yesterday and temporarily housed in Chase Gymnasium on campus. According to the release, the college is still working on a plan for long-term housing. 

1
Text Only
Additional Content
Join the Debate
Helium
Additional Resources
CNHI News Service
Poll

Are your taxes going to be done on time?

Yes, they're all finished
I should make it in under the wire
No, I'm late
No, I'm filing an extension
I'm not filing a tax return
     View Results