The Daily Star
---- — When was the last time we had a businessman as president of the United States? George W. was in the oil business and owned a ball club, but was he really a businessman? Harry Truman owned a haberdashery in Missouri, but that’s not quite the scale I’m talking about.
Seems for too long we’ve been led by career politicians, with little or no business experience. Some may ask, “Is that important?” If we look at the current state of our economy, the trillion-dollar yearly deficits of the federal government and the crushing national debt of more than $16 trillion, the answer is a resounding “Yes!”
Let’s get someone in there who knows what he is doing and understands business. Not only does the U.S. economy need to grow, but the federal government also is arguably the world’s biggest business, and for more than a generation, can anyone claim that it has been run efficiently?
There is a good argument that it has been run so poorly, it should be out of business. Since 1960, the federal budget has been balanced for only four years, and that was under President Clinton and a Republican-controlled Congress.
That’s nothing to brag about, but sadly some do. That only further shows the ineptness of those who lead. No other business could survive for decades spending more money than it generates, and many believe our country is at the point of imploding, as we spend $4 billion a day more than we take in. Does any sane person think this is a good thing?
Today, Nov. 6, we are making a choice! Should the choice be to stay the present course, what may we expect? To tell what a man will do in the future, look to his past.
Is there any denying that President Obama is a left-leaning “big government” guy? He believes that government’s role is to micro-manage the country, pick winners and losers, and redistribute the wealth.
Take, for example, health care. Under the existing system, almost 90 percent of Americans had health care, but to cover the remaining 10 percent, our president felt a government takeover was necessary. We now have the first time in history that the U.S. government can force you to buy something.
Look to General Motors. It was in trouble, for sure, but a structured bankruptcy or government loan with conditions would have been possible, and a better alternative than government and union ownership.
Consider the growing number of welfare and food stamp recipients and the trillion dollars owed to the government in student loans. Contemplate the halting of the Keystone Pipeline and the moratorium on off-shore drilling.
Our current president pits rich against poor and continues to blame others for our present condition. He will not control our borders and refuses to let the states try. Our credit has been downgraded for the first time in history.
As you can see, this mentality has a huge downside. Like Greece, Spain, France and other “tax-and-spend” countries, we have suffered through four years of 8+ percent unemployment, $4 per gallon gas, millions more on government subsidies and still more families living in poverty. Government dependence has grown. If we stay the course, expect more of the same.
Should we change course with Romney/Ryan, we will avoid the crushing cost and inefficiencies of Obamacare. The growth of government spending will be cut, and we will begin a path to fiscal responsibility.
Our borders will be secured and our laws enforced. Our military will be strengthened, and we will again be respected abroad.
People will be at the helm who understand business and job growth. They know that America must be strong economically, if we are to remain the greatest nation on Earth.
The choice is clear. Do we want a businessman who has generated billions, or a president who has wasted trillions?
To illustrate, let me tell you a story. Many years ago as I began working in the equipment business, I went with my father-in-law to repossess some equipment for a local bank. In six months, the young farmer had made only one payment. The tractor and forage harvester were ready to go and strangely, he kept asking us for prices on a new baler and rake.
As we left I said: “That’s odd. He can’t pay for what he has already bought and yet, he’s looking to buy more.” My father-in-law responded, “He’s trying to buy his way to prosperity, and that never works.” By spring, the young farmer was out of business. It didn’t work then, and it won’t work now.
Chuck Pinkey is the owner of River Valley New Holland Inc. in Otego. He can be reached at email@example.com. The views expressed in this column do not necessarily reflect those of The Daily Star and its editorial board.