Pardee wasn’t alone in liking that area, as seen in a separate article on the same day, “While the growth on South Side has at no time approached a boom, it has been steady and substantial and the coming season is likely to see a larger outlay of money in buildings and improvements than any other previous season.”
Within days, it was reported that Pardee had purchased “a handsome carriage team” of horses, “a pair of stylish bay cobs,” so a carriage house was added to the plans.
Local residents learned from the Star on Friday, Dec. 12, 1902, “The attractive residence nearly completed of E.H. Pardee … has been named Collis Croft, in honor of his deceased uncle, Collis P. Huntington.”
As for the aforementioned economic impact of Colliscroft, the Star reported on Dec. 29, 1902, that more than $160,000 had been expended in building projects in Oneonta that year. Pardee’s expenditures of $10,000 for the mansion, $3,000 for the carriage house, and $1,000 for removing and then restoring Mrs. Fritts’ new home, amounted to just short of 10 percent of the total. The D&H railroad spent $20,000 on two new shops in the Oneonta railroad yards, and the First Baptist Society spent $25,000 on its new church at the corner of Chestnut and Academy streets.
Between the Pardee and D&H building projects, Nathan H. Briggs and Sons, the builders, smiled all the way to the bank during 1902. The style of architecture, not common to this area, remains a bit of a mystery, but relatives of E.H. Pardee who visited the site in 2005 speculated it was possibly influenced by similar mansions in Milledgeville, Ga., southeast of Atlanta, where Edward had relatives and visited in the past.
More work was scheduled in 1903, as reported on March 18. A water reservoir was to be built on the grounds, as well as a new barn and large poultry house. “He has secured Mr. Hogaboom as farmer for the place.”