North of the parking lot, Kar-San Development established the present suite of offices at 48-50 Dietz St. in the early 1980s. A few businesses displaced by urban renewal on Broad Street had relocated at 48 Dietz St. in the late 1970s, prior to becoming office space.
More residential properties were lost in late 1988, when what was then Astoria Federal Savings Bank, now NBT Bank, acquired properties near Huntington Park, to establish a drive-through bank office. Two nearly identical houses, set back behind two large apartment buildings, were all knocked down in November of that year.
Some dwellings that have survived demolition through the generations are 22 Dietz St., presently the offices of lawyer Walter F. Terry III, and 51 Dietz St., at the corner of Reynolds Avenue, now the Lewis, Hurley & Pietrobono Funeral Home. It was originally built in 1896 as The Oneonta Club, remaining there until 1943. Additional private residences remain at 52, 53 and 55 Dietz St.
There wouldn’t be enough space to completely cover all the changes on Dietz Street, but this provides the significant shifts from residential to commercial over the last 100 years.
This weekend: The area reacted to Prohibition being lifted in April 1933.
City Historian Mark Simonson’s column appears twice weekly. On Saturdays, his column focuses on the area during the Depression and before. His Monday columns address local history after the Depression. If you have feedback or ideas about the column, write to him at The Daily Star, or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org. His website is www.oneontahistorian.com. His columns can be found at www.thedailystar.com/marksimonson.