25 years ago
March 28, 1989
MILFORD — The first graders in Mrs. Betsey Hatfield’s class at the Milford Central filled the first gallon jar of pennies for the Dale Stevens Friendship Park. The jar holds about $43 in pennies.
Every classroom at the school has a jar, donated by the cafeteria staff. Every morning the pennies clink as children empty their pockets. They are looking forward to the day in May when the pennies will cover every inch of their new gymnasium floor, a display they hope will earn them a place in the Guinness Book of Records.
The pennies and other money collected will be used to purchase and set up playground equipment at the school. A model of the wooden equipment, built for climbing, swinging, and imaginative play, was circulated in the classrooms last week.
The Park, along the driveway of the approach to the school, will be named in memory of a fourth grade teacher, Dale Stevens, who was killed in an automobile accident several years ago.
50 years ago
March 28, 1964
STAMFORD — A long famed Stamford restaurant, The Eagles Nest, owned and operated by Stephen Brignoli and sons since 1945, has been sold to Prospect Enterprises.
The establishment closed March 15 to enable the new owners to make plans for alterations and eventual reopening under the new management.
Before the Brignoli family, the home was owned by P.M. Woods, president of John Hancock insurance company.
It is reported that Mr. Woods disliked paying water rent so he constructed his own reservoir on the property and lined the bottom with blue tile.
He also constructed a carriage house which is now the Eagles Nest restaurant.
The house was built in 1871 by Colonel E.Z.C. Judson, better known as Ned Buntline, who promoted the fortunes of Buffalo Bill.
Later he became famous as an author of “dime novels” concerning the adventures of Buffalo Bill.
Colonel Judson was born in Stamford in 1823 and died at his home in 1888.Step Back in Time features news items from The Daily Star 25 and 50 years ago.