The Daily Star
---- — 25 years agoApril 12, 1989
AFTON — Voters in the Bainbridge-Guilford and Afton school districts rejected a proposed merger of the two districts Tuesday by an 18 percent margin.
The final tally stood at 1,457 opposed to merger and 1,021 in favor of it, according to Freeman Van Wickler, head of the Delaware-Chenango BOCES, who read the result to about 25 people in the Afton Central School auditorium at 10 p.m.
“I am disappointed,” said John T. Oates, Afton school superintendent. “But tomorrow is another day.”
He said the Afton school board will meet next Tuesday to discuss the result of the vote and to plot a new course of action for dealing with problems in the district, which range from the cost of maintaining the district’s 83-year-old high school to finding ways to bolster the school’s curriculum.
“My concern was that we get a decision, and we’ve got that decision,” said Bainbridge-Guilford school board member James Wright. He had previously expressed opposition to the merger.
Wright said the Bainbridge-Guilford board will continue to work at alleviating a space crunch in its schools, though he added that the district does not have a lot of immediate needs.
“You have to remember, this whole (merger) study was precipitated by Afton approaching us,” he said.Step Back in Time features news items from The Daily Star 25 and 50 years ago.