Farmers’ markets are now open to provide farm fresh fruits and vegetables for good health and nutrition. Again this year, Delaware County senior citizens may take advantage of the Farmers Market Coupon Program to receive $20 worth of free locally grown produce.
Delaware County Office for the Aging will coordinate the distribution of the booklets for households of eligible seniors.
Seniors, age 60 or older, who are Delaware County residents and are receiving or who are eligible for SSI, public assistance or Section 8 housing subsidy are eligible to receive the coupons. Also, households that are within the following income guidelines are eligible to receive the Farmers Market Coupons: a one-person household with a gross income of less than $1,772 per month; a two-person household with a combined gross income of less than $2,392 per month.
Only one coupon booklet is allowed per household.
Eligible seniors may pick up coupons at the Office for the Aging at 6 Court St. in Delhi, between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. The Delhi market is open from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesdays. Other distribution sites include senior dining centers and senior housing units. Only those who have access to the markets or have family and friends who may redeem them should request coupon booklets.
The following is the distribution schedule:
• Delhi Senior Dining Center, First Presbyterian Church, 4 Clinton St.,11:15 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. July 24.
• Deposit Senior Dining Center, Christ Episcopal Church, 14 Monument St., 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. July 30.
• Grand Gorge Senior Dining Center, Grand Gorge Civic Center, state Route 30, 11:15 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. July 19.
• Hancock Senior Dining Center, Hancock Baptist Church, 232 Wheeler St., 11:15 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. July 26.
• Middletown Senior Dining Center, Methodist Church, 55 Church St., Margaretville, 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. July 29.
• Sidney Senior Dining Center, Sidney Civic Center, 21 Liberty St., 11 to 12:30 p.m. July 25.