- Emily Popek
- It isn't spring until baseball season starts Let me start by saying that I was not raised to be a sports fan.
- How I learned to stop worrying and be a mom Becoming a parent is, of course, a transformative experience. And some of it is predictable. There's the lack of sleep. There's the amount of time you spend dealing with bodily fluids. There are the constant, crazy demands ("No, Mama! Green socks! GREEN SOCKS!"). And there are the little, loving moments that make all the other stuff worthwhile.
- In defense of 'ladies wearing pretty dresses' In defense of 'ladies wearing pretty dresses'
- Creation debate brought back memories If I were still 16 years old, you better believe I would have tuned in to the recent debate between Bill "The Science Guy" Nye and creationist Ken Ham.
Picking your own music has its downside
As a kid, I was a big radio listener. We didn't have cable TV, the best way for me to keep up with new music was to plop down in my favorite chair on Sundays and listen to Casey Kasem's Top 40.
- I have to be crafty about my crafts If you ever want to get really depressed as a parent, just go onto Pinterest and search for "kid birthday ideas."
- What lovely weather for a holiday flight As I write this, I am girding my loins to participate in one of the most dreaded rituals of the Christmas season: holiday travel.
- When is a suffix not a suffix? "I know a little man both ept and ert. And intro? extra? No, he's just a vert. Sheveled and couth and kempt, pecunious, ane; His image trudes upon the ceptive brain ..."
- Living with an acute poetry infection I caught the poetry bug at an early age, and I've been happily suffering from its symptoms ever since.
- Some advice for the next generation The blog "wait but why" had a great post last month titled "Why Generation Y Yuppies are Unhappy." As a semi-Gen-Y-er (I was born at the very tail end of Gen X), I found the whole thing interesting.
- More Emily Popek Headlines