- Emily Popek
- In defense of 'ladies wearing pretty dresses' In defense of 'ladies wearing pretty dresses'
- Creation debate brought back memories If I were still 16 years old, you better believe I would have tuned in to the recent debate between Bill "The Science Guy" Nye and creationist Ken Ham.
Picking your own music has its downside
As a kid, I was a big radio listener. We didn't have cable TV, the best way for me to keep up with new music was to plop down in my favorite chair on Sundays and listen to Casey Kasem's Top 40.
- I have to be crafty about my crafts If you ever want to get really depressed as a parent, just go onto Pinterest and search for "kid birthday ideas."
- What lovely weather for a holiday flight As I write this, I am girding my loins to participate in one of the most dreaded rituals of the Christmas season: holiday travel.
- When is a suffix not a suffix? "I know a little man both ept and ert. And intro? extra? No, he's just a vert. Sheveled and couth and kempt, pecunious, ane; His image trudes upon the ceptive brain ..."
- Living with an acute poetry infection I caught the poetry bug at an early age, and I've been happily suffering from its symptoms ever since.
- Some advice for the next generation The blog "wait but why" had a great post last month titled "Why Generation Y Yuppies are Unhappy." As a semi-Gen-Y-er (I was born at the very tail end of Gen X), I found the whole thing interesting.
Seeking light amid fall's darkness
I came across a card from my late aunt the other day. At first glance, it's nothing extraordinary. But I've kept it for more than 10 years for reasons that are complicated to explain.
Talking Dr. King's dream into reality
One of the most often-quoted, and the most poignant, moments in Martin Luther King Jr.'s legendary "I Have a Dream" speech was his stated wish that "my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."
- More Emily Popek Headlines