- Emily Popek
Seeking light amid fall's darkness
I came across a card from my late aunt the other day. At first glance, it's nothing extraordinary. But I've kept it for more than 10 years for reasons that are complicated to explain.
Talking Dr. King's dream into reality
One of the most often-quoted, and the most poignant, moments in Martin Luther King Jr.'s legendary "I Have a Dream" speech was his stated wish that "my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."
- It's becoming more difficult to stay tech-savvy The other day, I heard a song on the radio that sounded interesting, but I didn't recognize the band. So I tapped a few buttons on my cellphone, held it up to the speakers, and about 90 seconds later had the song title and band name.
There's no rest for the weary mom
I've been thinking a lot lately about sleep. The first reason for this is obvious: I'm not getting nearly enough of it.
- Growing up means letting go I saw an old love the other day, and it just about broke my heart.
- Balancing work, family is men's dilemma too In an era when dual incomes are increasingly a necessity, rather than a choice, it is ridiculous to keep pretending that "work-life balance" is a women's problem. It's not. It's a societal problem. And until we can view it as such, we don't stand a chance of addressing the symptoms of this problem.
- Editing the color out of my language Swearing has historically gotten a bad rap.
- Stepping on the flag, and other memories If we are to be defined all our lives by our high school mascots, then I suppose I am a Viking. But I'm also a Panther, having transferred schools after my freshman year.
- The winds of change are in this spring air Right now, there are spring flowers blooming outside the window of my childhood bedroom.
- Lessons learned, and ignored, from my mom and dad Sometimes I think I must be a terrible disappointment to my parents.
- More Emily Popek Headlines
- Seeking light amid fall's darkness