The Daily Star, Oneonta, NY - otsego county news, delaware county news, oneonta news, oneonta sports

March 17, 2014

In Your Opinion: Check chimneys often for creosote

--
The Daily Star

---- — A scary thing happened recently. We had a chimney fire. Our woodstove got burning too hot and the creosote in the chimney began to burn.

I immediately called 911. The Springfield Fire Department arrived with several truckloads of firemen within 15 minutes.

By the time they arrived, the creosote had burned itself out and there really was no issue, but there could have been, and I want to do two things:

I want to warn you that if you burn a woodstove, this could happen to you, too. We clean our chimney out each fall, and yet by this time of year we have once again accumulated creosote in the chimney. When we accidentally allowed the fire to get too hot, that creosote began to burn. I recognized the problem, shut down the fire and conditions did not allow for any flame to ignite any structure. One squad member indicated that creosote should be cleaned out once a month.

I want to extend a huge “thank you” to the Springfield Fire Department. They were caring, professional and thorough. Even though no fire remained when they arrived, they climbed up on the roof, inspected the chimney for any flame, removed existing creosote, inspected the woodstove and chimney inside the house, and used a camera to ensure there was no fire burning inside the walls. Our sincerest gratitude for a job well done. There is nothing more scary than watching the prospect of your home going up in flames. I am glad you were there for us.

Our sincerest thanks to each of you, and may you continue to perform the fine work that you do. We will be making an additional donation to the Springfield Fire Department AND cleaning our chimney out more frequently. We hope that others will too.

Barb and Bill Harman

Springfield