From the beginnings of IBM in the last century to the manufacture of energy-saving devices today, Otsego County has a compelling history of invention and innovation. Located in the heart of New York with easy access to rail and highway freight, Otsego County is the gateway to the industrial centers of the Northeast.
The Oneonta airport is less than two miles from the CBD, two industrial centers and the burgeoning Southside Retail Complex. With two colleges and a healthcare network affiliated with Columbia University, we offer one of the most educated professional workforces in North America. Looking for an unmatched quality of life? Otsego County is home to the Baseball Hall of Fame, the Susquehanna Greenway and an abundance of outdoor activities.
Furthermore Otsego County offers property developers access to financial and tax benefits not available in many nearby municipalities. The following is a summary of tax incentives available to many property owners in Otsego County. Please note these are brief summaries and vary by city, town and village.
1. Otsego County Industrial Development Agency offers real property tax abatement for qualified projects.
2. A business-property tax incentive fosters the construction and improvement of commercial structures.
3. A tax exemption encourages the conversion of commercial/industrial property to mixed-use.
4. Another exemption provides an incentive for new construction and rehabilitation of multi-unit housing.
5. A different kind of exemption benefits first-time homeowners.
6. Most military veterans qualify for tax abatements.
7. A Green Buildings incentive encourages Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED)-certified development.
8. There is an incentive for certain low– or moderate-income housing.
Clearly, Otsego County means business.