There’s a lot at stake this year. In this district Julian Schreibman is running against Chris Gibson.
Gibson was elected on the coattails of the Tea Party in 2010. In his campaign he is trying to portray himself as a moderate. His voting record is anything but. He:
• voted for the Ryan Budget which, among other things, would turn Medicare into a voucher program causing seniors to spend up to $,6000 more per year out-of-pocket.
• voted to cut funding for rural broadband by $21 million.
• voted to undermine and weaken the Clean Air Act.
• voted to defund Planned Parenthood, which would remove, among other things, health care for women that includes cervical cancer screenings.
• voted to protect tax breaks for Big Oil. Why are our tax dollars needed for Big Oil?
On these issues, Julian Schreibman is in stark contrast with Chris Gibson.
The GOP’s statement about climate change is that it’s a “man-made hoax” when moer than 90 percent of climatologists worldwide know that it is man-made. This newspaper published an article stating the same as the GOP. The evidence that this was based on was hacked e-mails at the Climactic Research Unit at East Anglia several weeks before the climate summit in Copenhagen alleging that the climatologists manipulated data. Eight committees investigated the allegations and published reports, finding no evidence of fraud or scientific misconduct. Four of these were:
• The US Commerce Department (requested by Republicans)
• Penn State
• East Anglia
• the British Government
The scientific consensus that global warming is occurring as a result of human activity remained unchanged at the end of the investigations.
For this newspaper to publish such an article was not responsible. Go to www.climatechange.org.
Gibson, like Romney, will tell you what you want to hear.