Oneonta fire accidental,
A fire that gutted a house on Murdock Avenue in the town of Oneonta has been ruled accidental, Oneonta Fire Chief Patrick Pidgeon said Wednesday.
Pidgeon said that Otsego County investigators think the fire Tuesday at 10 Murdock Ave. that destroyed the home’s interior and most of its contents was ignited by “some type of discarded smoking materials or burning materials.”
The blaze was reported at 2:26 p.m. Tuesday, and units arrived within four minutes, Pidgeon said, but it took nearly an hour to control the flames.
The home was occupied by Matthew P. Hill, 41. He was not in the house when the fire broke out, officials said.