The Daily Star, Oneonta, NY - otsego county news, delaware county news, oneonta news, oneonta sports

Local News

November 26, 2013

Probe: Electricity started fatal fire

The cause of a fire that killed a Richfield Springs science teacher Nov. 16 has been determined to be a malfunction in the electrical system in the rear of the house, according to a media release from Otsego County Emergency Services Coordinator Kevin Ritton.

The location of the cause of the accidental fire at the home of Mary E. Weingates, who lived at 40 Walnut Street, allowed it to burn unnoticed before spreading to the adjoining rooms, Ritton said in the release. Weingates was 59.

The announcement followed a review of events prior to the fire and a systematic review and elimination of other potential causes, he said.

1
Text Only
Local News

Additional Content
Join the Debate
Helium
Additional Resources
CNHI News Service
Poll

Are your taxes going to be done on time?

Yes, they're all finished
I should make it in under the wire
No, I'm late
No, I'm filing an extension
I'm not filing a tax return
     View Results