Free tax counseling will be available for some Delaware County residents starting Saturday.
Through the Free Tax Counseling for the Elderly program, senior citizens and low- and moderate-income county residents can receive free tax preparation assistance for basic returns. Volunteers trained by AARP will offer tax preparation assistance by appointment at senior dining centers throughout the county.
Volunteers can also assist those who do not have to file federal or state income tax returns, but who own or rent, have a gross household income of less than $18,000, and may be eligible to receive New York’s Real Property Tax Credit. Several restrictions apply.
Taxpayers are to bring copies of last year’s returns, as well as any wage and earning statements, pension and retirement statements, interest and dividend statements and county, city and/or school tax statements, unemployment compensation statements, child care provider information and any other information about income and expenses. Social security cards must be presented for all dependents.
Locations and dates for the tax assistance program are as follows. Sign-up can be done in person at any of the senior centers listed below unless otherwise noted. Phone numbers are listed for each site for more information.
• Delhi: Feb. 26 (rescheduled from Feb. 22); March 11, 14, 18 and 26; April 4 and 14. Call Delaware County Office for the Aging, 746-6333.
• Grand Gorge: March 5, Grand Gorge Civic Center; 588-6166.
• Hancock: Feb. 25, Hancock Baptist Church; 637-2219.
• Middletown: March 4, Margaretville Methodist Church; (845) 586-4764.
• Sidney: Feb. 19, March 12, April 9, Sidney Civic Center; 563-2212.
• Walton: Feb. 18 (may be full) (rescheduled from Feb. 27), St. John’s R.C. Church, Benton Avenue, Walton; 865-6739.