The Daily Star, Oneonta, NY - otsego county news, delaware county news, oneonta news, oneonta sports

Local News

January 14, 2014

Couple survive close call with poison gas

(Continued)

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that causes more than 400 deaths, 20,000 emergency room visits and 4,000 hospitalizations every year in America. Fatality is apparently highest among individuals 65 and older. The center said people who are asleep can die from carbon monoxide poisoning before ever experiencing symptoms.

“They are very lucky to be here,” Benjamin said of her parents. “This was a wake-up call for everyone. It’s unfortunate that it happened, but the outcome was positive and we are trying to look at it as a teaching experience, so others can become aware of the dangers that can be in the home.”

The couple said the family has realized how important it is to make sure carbon monoxide detectors are present in the home and working properly.

“Our son-in-law just went out and bought four,” Dan Morehouse said. “Two for their home and two for ours.”

Text Only
Local News

Additional Content
Join the Debate
Helium
Additional Resources
CNHI News Service
Poll

Is Israel justified to conduct its military campaign against the Hamas in Gaza?

Yes
No
Undecided/no opinion
     View Results