The Daily Star
---- — Ice conditions permitting, skating will continue this weekend at Hodges Pond, Oneonta Recreation Department officials said. On Friday, skating had to be ended because of “warmer” temperatures and ice melt.
The pond was open last weekend for skating for the first time this season and for the first time since January and February of 2010, David Coury, recreation department clerk, said.
Last weekend, 118 skaters put their blades to the ice, with 13 skaters showing up Friday, 64 on Saturday and 41 on Sunday, he said.
On Monday night, the Oneonta Fire Department flooded the pond, which helped smooth the surface as water filled in cracks, Coury said.
Hours, which are subject to change, are from 3 to 6 p.m. Friday and noon to 6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, officials said. Updates on hours and ice conditions are available by calling the city’s recreation info-line at 432-7997.
Coury said recreation officials would be monitoring conditions in days ahead for next weekend.
Brendan Cahill, a 2012 Hartwick College graduate serving in Peace Corps, said he has made some sports connections through his living experiences in Ukraine.
He lived with a host family for 12 weeks — Tolay and Mama Olena and their son, Dima, and sister, Olha. Cahill, who played football at Hartwick, said Olha is scheduled to compete in the Olympics in 2016 in Brazil for Ukrainian national team in shot put.
“I was very fortunate to live with such an athletic host family,” Cahill said in an email “ My host brother, Dima, and I were always playing soccer together and working out together. While I played football at Hartwick, Dima taught me a trick or two with soccer as he was on the Ukrainian National Junior Team for soccer. He is like my real brother.”
Cahill said he felt that his host family had adopted him.
“Mama Olena calls me all the time,” he said, “checking up on me and making sure I am eating well and staying warm like my real mom always does!”
Cahill is at home in Airmont in Rockland County, awaiting word from Peace Corps Ukraine about when volunteers may return after a recent evacuation.
“I am taking this time to catch up with my very supportive family, friends and girlfriend, fellow Hartwick ‘12 graduate Staci Daddio,” Cahill said.
Daylight Saving Time begins at 2 a.m. Sunday, when clocks are set ahead one hour.
Firefighters also take the seasonal change as an opportunity to issue a reminder about changing batteries in smoke detectors, and more recently, also in carbon monoxide detectors. Families should develop and practice a home fire-escape plan.
The Firemen’s Association of the State of New York offered the following tips for maintaining fire and CO detectors:
• Test detectors at least once a month by using the test button.
• Check the batteries every six months, and change the batteries every year.
• Vacuum or blow out any dust that might accumulate in the unit.
• Never borrow a battery from a detector to use elsewhere.
• Never paint a smoke or CO detector.
• Install at least one smoke alarm on every floor of your home, including the basement, and in, or near each sleeping area.
Robert Chiappisi, Oneonta city code enforcement officer, earlier this year offered this quiz:
For an existing two-story, single-family home with three bedrooms and a basement that has an electric stove, an oil furnace and electric water heater, how many smoke detectors should there be? How many CO detectors should there be? And if a CO detector is required, where should it be?
Answer: Six smoke detectors and one CO detector.
Chiappisi said one smoke detector would go in each bedroom, one in the area hallway outside each bedroom, one on the first floor and one in the basement for a total of six detectors.
The CO detector, which would be necessary because of the oil furnace, would also go in the hallway outside the bedrooms, he said.
Under the state’s Amanda’s Law, which went into effect in 2010, CO alarms must be installed in new and existing one and two-family homes, multi-family dwellings and rental units with fuel-burning appliances, systems or an attached garage.
Denise Richardson, staff writer, may be reached at (607) 432-1000, ext. 213, or at firstname.lastname@example.org.