The cause of a fire that destroyed a doublewide at Mill Creek Estates in Otego on Tuesday is still under investigation, Otsego County Emergency Services coordinator Kevin Ritton said. A family dog and cat perished in the blaze but no people were hurt, he said.
The fire at 124 Mill Creek Road started at about 1:40 p.m., when seven children were at the home, with the oldest, age 15, watching the others, Ritton said.
The home was owned by Jeffrey Purdy, 54, of Otego, who said he was at Bassett Medical Center in Cooperstown at the time, undergoing cancer treatments. He was notified of the blaze by his daughter. The children belonged to his stepdaughter and her boyfriend, who were not home at the time of the incident, Purdy said. He was not insured.
The Otego Fire Department received mutual aid from the Oneonta and West Oneonta departments, a dispatcher said.