The Daily Star, Oneonta, NY - otsego county news, delaware county news, oneonta news, oneonta sports

Local News

February 27, 2013

Fire evacuates Sidney school

About 450 students were evacuated from Sidney elementary and middle school classrooms to the high school gymnasium when fire broke out in a pole barn, the superintendent said Tuesday.

A tractor was destroyed, Superintendent Bill Christensen of the Sidney Central School District said. The origin may have been in the tractor’s battery, he said, but an investigation continues.

The barn had smoke damage, and investigators will determine the extent today, the superintendent said. He credited Sidney firefighters with putting out the blaze quickly.

An employee walking across a parking Tuesday afternoon reported seeing smoke to the office, where staff called 911, Christensen said. When the fire was called in at 12:48 p.m., the district followed its evacuation plan, he said, and pupils were back in class at about 1:10 p.m.

1
Text Only
Local News

Additional Content
Join the Debate
Helium
Additional Resources
CNHI News Service
Poll

Are your taxes going to be done on time?

Yes, they're all finished
I should make it in under the wire
No, I'm late
No, I'm filing an extension
I'm not filing a tax return
     View Results