The Daily Star, Oneonta, NY - otsego county news, delaware county news, oneonta news, oneonta sports

Local News

January 17, 2013

Fire breaks out in SUCO dorm


“It looked kind of scary,’’ she said. Cammarata said she and some friends left their residence as a precaution. SUNY Oneonta has frequent fire drills, according to Cammarata, who said she generally feels safe on campus.

Legg said each residence hall has fire drills several times a year.

On Monday night, food on a stove-top left cooking unattended resulted in a kitchen fire on the fourth floor in Higgins Hall, a college report said. The blaze was extinguished by sprinklers, officials said, and 20 students were displaced for one night.

Pidgeon said Oneonta firefighters didn’t respond to the fire at Higgins Hall but went to the scene later the next day.

The New York State Office of Fire Prevention was contacted Wednesday about the Matteson Hall fire and has sent a representative, college officials said, and the SUNY Dormitory Authority will evaluate structural damage.

Pending an assessment of Matteson Hall, particularly the alarms, electrical, heating and ventilation systems, the college will begin the process of repairing the damage and cleaning the building as soon as possible, a media release said.

Fire departments in Laurens, West Laurens, Morris and Scenevus were on standby Wednesday, Otsego County dispatchers said.

Text Only
Local News

Additional Content
Join the Debate
Additional Resources
CNHI News Service

Is Israel justified to conduct its military campaign against the Hamas in Gaza?

Undecided/no opinion
     View Results