Fifteen faculty and staff at the area’s three public colleges have gleaned 2012-13 Chancellor’s Awards for Excellence.
Nancy Zimpher, State University of New York chancellor, on Monday announced that 312 faculty and staff members in the SUNY system have been recognized for consistently superior achievement and commitment.
“SUNY employs an exemplary body of faculty and staff across the state and the annual presentation of these awards underscores our deep appreciation for those who serve SUNY campuses, students and communities,” Zimpher said in a media release. “Congratulations to all of this year’s honorees.”
At SUNY Oneonta, seven staffers received the recognition, while five at SUNY Delhi and three from SUNY Cobleskill were honored. The awards are presented in six categories — faculty service, librarianship, professional service, scholarship and creative activities, teaching, and classified service, and local recipients were honored at recent on-campus events.
At the State University College at Oneonta, recipients included Joanne Curran, associate dean of the division of education.
Curran said she had been nominated by a colleague and the excellence in professional service was appreciated and a nice conclusion to her SUNY career.
“I was honored,” said Curran, who will retire from SUNY this summer and join Sage College of Albany as dean.
Other SUNY Oneonta recipients were:
• Susan Bernardin, professor of English and chair of the Women’s and Gender Studies Department, excellence in scholarship and creative activities.
• Nathan Gonyea, associate professor in the educational psychology, counseling and special education department, excellence in teaching;
• William Walker, assistant professor in the Cooperstown Graduate Program, excellence in teaching;
• William Simons, professor of history, excellence in faculty service;
• Kathy Meeker, director of the grants and development office, excellence in professional service.
• Kay Gale, music department secretary, excellence in classified service.
At the State University College of Technology at Delhi, a release said recipients were: