An autopsy following a fatal house fire in the Chenango County town of Guilford has determined that the occupant died from smoke inhalation after shooting himself, authorities said Tuesday.
A man’s body was removed from the double wide trailer at 209 Joslyn Road after the blaze that broke out Sunday night was extinguished by the Guilford Fire Department, with assistance from the Oxford Fire Department.
The Chenango County Sheriff’s Office said it was awaiting positive identification of the body from a dental examination.
However, relatives of the occupant told television station WBNG that the man killed in the fire was the owner of the trailer home, Rick Baker, 57, who had been coping with tragedies in his family.
Officials said the autopsy was performed at Lourdes Hospital.