The Daily Star, Oneonta, NY - otsego county news, delaware county news, oneonta news, oneonta sports

Local News

June 28, 2011

A Reader's Memory: Rae Glock, Colliersville

My memory of June 6 (2006) is different than any other I have. My family and I have always lived here. I was born here at 150 Norton Road. Back then it was called the Hemlock Road off (state) Route 7.

I found 2006 flood water the most challenging. I was used to high water. They always call the land “flat land,” and seeing high water was nothing to see. So I never gave it a second thought.

The day started off as any other. I went to work, and my new husband coming from New Jersey wasn’t aware of anything happening. As time went by, my husband called and said the water was rising. I told him to keep his eyes on it, and if it started getting higher, start moving things off the flood plain.

Eleven o’clock came. Another phone call _ the water had come up across the road and was up to the back of the trailer. He was frantic, so I left work. On my way home, I started to notice and said, “Oh my God, the heavens have opened up.” Water covered everything. Oneonta was partly closed off. Roads were flooded, roadsides were being washed away.

Finally, I made it home. We were going to stick it out but two hours later we had to leave. The cars just made it. Water was inside. We took what we could, clothes, etc., and Lady the dog. We left everything else we owned behind. We were lucky to have family to stay with. Thank you to my sisters, Betty McAdams and Ruby Norton. They came to our rescue.

Two days later, I told my husband of one year that this was a year to remember. I wanted to check out my home. I was surprised to see the water that was circled all around it.

Never in my life was I so hurt, shocked, disappointed and afraid. We started down the road. By then, they had closed off the old road by state Route 7 and put an exit road across the field from Route 28.

Lady was trying to get home. The water caught her and she slipped in. We only saw her eyes. I rushed in to save her, and we left. To this day, she doesn’t like water.

The day after, we decided to check it out by going down the old road off Route 7. My son came with a boat and pulled us down the road to the trailer.

On the way down, I remarked on all the stuff floating in the water, thinking it was from upriver. Then, coming closer to home, I saw that some of it was ours.

We came to the trailer. Water was going through it. The refrigerator was tipped over. Things were floating everywhere. We had lost everything. Nothing could be saved. But our lives were spared.

So I was thinking about what I could do. I hung clothes up on the back clothesline. We had a laugh about it at the time _ clothes hanging up in the flood. As we left without anything, we thought about the hard times ahead of us.

We put in a new home, raising the foundation 4½ feet higher. We settled back in, hoping we would never have to experience this again.

Well, in life, they say every day is a challenge. For me, it was. I have learned that the weather will be what it will be. Just do whatever must be done and deal with it. A person’s life is more valuable than any possession you have. Things can be replaced. You go around only once _ make the best with your life you can.

And always I thank God for my husband, Fred Glock, for being in my life. He kept me from going bonkers and kept me calm. He is my hero and always will be.

Rae Marie Norton Glock


Text Only
Local News

Additional Content
Join the Debate
Additional Resources
CNHI News Service

Is Israel justified to conduct its military campaign against the Hamas in Gaza?

Undecided/no opinion
     View Results