The Daily Star, Oneonta, NY - otsego county news, delaware county news, oneonta news, oneonta sports

Local News

December 27, 2011

Officials: Family escapes Bainbridge house fire

A family escaped Friday from a burning house on county Route 38 in Bainbridge, American Red Cross officials said.

Six adults and a child were asleep when a neighbor noticed the attic ablaze and managed to wake the family so that members could leave the house safely, a media release from the Red Cross said, but a dog didn't make it out of the old farmhouse.

The fire was started by old, faulty electrical wiring, the release said, and the residence was destroyed.

Bruce Macumber, Guilford fire chief, didn't return an 8 p.m. Monday telephone call by 9:30 p.m.

Chenango County deputies said the fire at the two-story house was reported at 7:18 a.m. Friday. The fire was in Guilford's district and crews from Afton, Bainbridge, Mount Upton, Franklin and Sidney provided mutual aid, and fire bureau.

Red Cross emergency volunteers helped family members with financial aid to buy food, shoes, seasonal and other clothes. Several family members lost medications and were assisted by a Red Cross nurse, the release said, and additional Red Cross services may be provided.

Separately, Afton crews responded to a trailer fire at 23 Main St., Afton, at about 8:15 p.m. Friday, deputies said, and Bainbridge, Coventry and Harpersville crews provided mutual aid.

1
Text Only
Local News

Additional Content
Join the Debate
Helium
Additional Resources
CNHI News Service
Poll

Is Israel justified to conduct its military campaign against the Hamas in Gaza?

Yes
No
Undecided/no opinion
     View Results