Fire has left a Guilford family of five homeless, the fire chief said Tuesday night.
The blaze started at about 6 p.m. Monday at 118 Mechanic St., and about 30 firefighters from Guilford and Oxford departments responded, Ken Haynes, chief of the Guilford Fire Department, said.
A malfunctioning television set caused the fire, which started in the front of the two-story wood frame structure, which measured about 30 feet by 60 feet, Haynes said. The family, which had lived in the house just a week, escaped without injuries, he said.
The blaze was well underway by the time crews reached the scene, Haynes said, and the fire advanced because doors were left open after the family escaped.
Firefighters used the local hydrant system, Haynes said, and crews responded with six emergency vehicles, including two fire trucks and two ambulances.
Crews logged in at the Guilford station at about 1:15 a.m. Tuesday, Haynes said, and firefighters returned to the site Tuesday to take care of a hotspot.
Haynes said he knew the family only by the last name of “Green.” Members included two adults and three children, he said.
The family had just bought the property and had moved in a week ago, Haynes said. The owners had insurance and plan to rebuild on the site, he said.
The American Red Cross has offered assistance, along with donations being collected by community organizations, including Bainbridge-Guilford Central School, the Guilford Lake Convenience Store, the local United Methodist Church and Sidney Federal Credit Union in Sidney, Haynes said.
The Guilford Fire Department Auxiliary provided food for the crews, Haynes said. The Chenango County fire coordinator and arson team also were present.