The Daily Star, Oneonta, NY - otsego county news, delaware county news, oneonta news, oneonta sports

July 2, 2013

Man accused of fleeing, ramming police

Staff Report
The Daily Star

---- — A Masonville man accused of damaging trooper cars during efforts to evade state police was arrested on felony charges and sent to Delaware County jail on $30,000 cash bail, authorities said Monday.

The incident Friday also resulted in minor injuries to an unidentified trooper, according to a media release from state police at Sidney.

Edward C. Sherman, 59, was charged at 1:20 p.m. Friday with four counts of first-degree reckless endangerment and four counts of second-degree criminal mischief, both felonies, troopers said. He also was charged with third-degree unlawfully fleeing a police officer in a motor vehicle and third-degree aggravated unlicensed operation, misdemeanors.

At about 8:20 a.m. Friday, Sidney troopers received a report of a vehicle with many vehicle and traffic violations being operated by Sherman on state Route 206 in Masonville. Deposit troopers helped Sidney patrols locate Sherman on state Route 206, and a pursuit began when he refused to stop.

According to the release, the incident continued with troopers following Sherman onto Randell Hill Road, were he stopped and then intentionally drove his pickup truck backwards, striking and causing extensive damage to two trooper patrol vehicles.

Sherman drove away and led remaining patrol vehicles onto many roads until he reached the Fiumera Stone Quarry off of Cummings Road, where he again allegedly struck three trooper vehicles, causing a trooper to receive minor injuries.

Sherman abandoned his truck and fled. Troopers, the state police Special Operations Response Team, a K-9 unit and Bureau of Criminal Investigation conducted a search, and Sherman was found hiding in a field off of Teed Road in Masonville about three hours later.

Sherman was arraigned in Franklin Town Court and sent to jail, and the sheriff’s office online Mobile Patrol application reported Monday that he remained in jail.