The Daily Star, Oneonta, NY - otsego county news, delaware county news, oneonta news, oneonta sports

September 17, 2013

Devils ride fast start past Rams

The Daily Star

---- — Staff Report

Four players scored for Margaretville over the final 17 minutes of the first half as the visiting Blue Devils defeated South Kortright, 4-2, on Monday in a Delaware League boys soccer game.

In a rematch of last season’s Delaware League final that ended in a 1-1 tie, Margaretville broke up a scoreless game with two goals in a 30-second span.

Matt VanValkenburg scored with 16:59 left in the half, finishing a pass from Cooper Reither. It became 2-0 when Diego Caamano set up Reither for a goal 30 seconds later.

Kyle Short then scored off a pass from VanValkenburg about five minutes later to make it 3-0 and Sam Gil got one before halftime as the Blue Devils opened a four-goal lead.

“They’re strong,” South Kortright coach Bob VanValkenburgh said of unbeaten Margaretville. “They pass the ball very well.”

Sam Fabrykiewicz and Dylan Boest scored second-half goals for the Rams, the latter with a minute left in regulation.

“I’m happy with our play,” VanValkenburgh said. “We hung in there.”

SK (2-1-2, 1-1) will host Windham on Thursday.

Morris 2, Worcester 1

Mike Murphy’s scored the game’s first two goals and host Morris held on for a Tri-Valley League victory at home.

Murphy’s second goal came with 28:50 remaining in the second half. He headed in a Dylan Humphris corner kick. Murphy was positioned at the far post and re-directed it toward the far post from 6 yards.

Worcester’s George Clements answered 2:40 later. He scored into the bottom right corner. The Mustangs’ Aidan Staib preserved the lead in the final two minutes by deflecting a direct kick that was curving away from him.

“It was closer than I would have liked,” said Morris coach Dave Sander, whose team lost nine starters to graduation and has one senior on the roster.

Murphy’s first goal came 10 minutes into play. He scored on an 18-yard shot.

Morris (3-0, 3-0) will host Cherry Valley-Springfield on Wednesday. The Mustangs beat the Patriots, 1-0, in last year’s Tri-Valley League final.

“With her system, any kids who come up, it’s like they didn’t lose anybody,” Sander said of CV-S coach Terri Adams’ system. “They play good possession soccer and we’re trying to get there.”

Milford 2, Franklin 1

Eli Rutledge scored with three minutes left in the first overtime to lead visiting Milford to a Tri-Valley League win.

Milford’s Blake Elliott scored the first goal from 25 yards in the second half. Joe Nowhitney tied the score for Franklin with 17 minutes left, converting a cross from Damien LaFever to force overtime.

Matt Laing made seven saves for the Wildcats, who held a 15-7 advantage in shots.

Turner Theis finished with 11 saves for the Purple Devils (2-3-1, 1-2-1), who play at Richfield Springs on Wednesday.

CV-S 2, Edmeston 0

Dan Bosma and Jake Spencer scored first-half goals, both assisted by Ben Drugatz, as host Cherry Valley-Springfield improved to 4-0 with a Tri-Valley League victory.

Bosma opened the scoring with 14:06 left in the half. He received a throughball from Drugatz and popped a shot into the goal.

Nearly seven minutes later, Drugatz sent another throughball that found a cutting Spencer, who finished to make it 2-0.

The Patriots held advantages of 15-2 in shots and 10-3 in corner kicks.

“It was windy,” CV-S coach Terri Adams said. “I thought we did alright. We tried to work our short passing game.”

CV-S will travel to Morris on Wednesday in a rematch of last season’s Tri-Valley League title game the Mustangs won, 1-0.

Stamford 2, Windham 1

Colby Fancher and Glen Cioccari scored goals three minutes apart late in the first half as visiting Stamford rallied for a Delaware League.

Aidan Cohane scored off an assist from Zach Meyer with 18:09 left in the opening half to give Windham a 1-0 lead.

Fancher tied it about eight minutes later, finishing a pass from Damian Hill. Fancher then set up Cioccari’s go-ahead seven minutes before halftime.

The Warriors (0-3, 0-3) will travel to South Kortright on Thursday.

H-T 3, Jefferson 0

Jake Davis scored goals two minutes apart in the first half for host Hunter-Tannersville, which won in the Delaware League.

Chase Plattner set up Davis’ first goal with a crossing pass. Davis scored from 18 yards with 14:46 left in the half. Two minutes later, Davis ran onto a long punt by goalie Ryan Radcliffe, beat one defender before scoring on a breakaway.

Jordan Radcliffe scored in the second half for the Wildcats (2-3, 1-2), who will host Roxbury on Thursday.

Roxbury 5, Gilboa 2

Chris Clark scored twice, and Charlie Dietrich had a goal and two assists as host Roxbury won in the Delaware League.

After Gilboa cut its deficit to 2-1 early in the second half, Clark scored a minute later off an assist from Dietrich to give the Rockets a two-goal-cushion.

Joe McAfee and David Chairvolotti also scored for Roxbury, which received two assists from Chris Walcutt.

Christian Cooper and Zak Perry had goals for Gilboa.

The Rockets (3-4, 2-1) will travel to Hunter-Tannersville on Thursday.

Walton 2, Norwich 1

Second-half goals by Tyler Rubera and Nate Pieper rallied host Walton to a Midstate Athletic Conference victory.

Rubera scored the winner with 3:21 left. Outside defender Wyatt Finn sent a pass to Rubera, who beat a defender on the left side. Rubera’s low 14-yard shot went under goalie Keegan Prime and inside the right post.

Pieper tied the score following an indirect kick by Cameron Murphy with 26:18 left.

“Cameron gave it a quick roll,” Walton coach Andy Gates said. “Their goalie was still trying to line up the wall and they weren’t ready.”

Murphy’s kick found Pieper, who tied it up.

“At halftime, we talked about moving the ball on the ground and we were able to do that,” said Gates, whose team improved to 5-1 overall and 3-1 in the MAC. “We outshot them, 10-4, after halftime.”

Walton will travel to Delhi at 4 p.m. Wednesday.

Unatego 1, Sidney 1

Tristin Roefs scored halfway through the first half to lead Unatego to a Midstate Athletic Conference tie at home. Teammate Johnathan Forte headed the ball off a cross, allowing Roefs to score from close range.

Sidney’s Tyler McKee tied the scored with 11 minutes left with a 20-yard shot off a pass from Justin Charles.

Wyatt McKee finished with 18 saves for the Warriors.

“We possessed the ball well, we just couldn’t finish,” said Spartans coach Eric Miller, whose team held a 22-6 advantage in shots.

Unatego (4-0-2, 3-0-2) plays at Unadilla Valley on Friday.

Greene 2, UV 0

Karl Zaengle and Luke Day scored in the first five minutes as Greene earned a MAC victory on the road.

Zaengle opened the scoring 1:21 into the game with a shot that hit the crossbar and broke the goal line after catching the back of goalie Kyle King’s head.

“Kyle judged it well and jumped to ensure it wasn’t in,” UV coach Ryan Houck said. “It was one of those fluky things that I’ve never seen happen before.”

Zaengel then took advantage of a defensive breakdown at the endline and found Luke Day unguarded at the 6-yard line for an uncontested goal 4:33 into the game.

Conor Moriarity made five saves for the shutout. King made a diving stop from close range and finished with seven saves for UV, which visits Norwich today.

ODY 5, Cooperstown 1

Tanner Clinton converted a pass from Park Summers in the opening half, but visiting Cooperstown fell in the Center State Conference.

Bradlee Edick finished with three goals and an assist for Owen D. Young (4-0, 3-0), which took a 4-1 lead into the second half.