The Daily Star, Oneonta, NY - otsego county news, delaware county news, oneonta news, oneonta sports

October 24, 2013

No. 13 Gilboa upsets Delhi, 3-2

The Daily Star


Gilboa coach Dan McGlynn said Hunter Grace’s teammates call him “Scrappy.”

That’s because of Grace’s ability to find loose balls around the net and turn them into goals. Grace scored three goals Wednesday to carry the 13th-seeded Wildcats to a 3-2 upset of No. 4 Delhi in a Section Four Class D first-round boys soccer game at Delhi.

“On the first two, they didn’t clear the ball and he was in the right place at the right time, and he put them into the net,” McGlynn said of Grace.

But on the winning goal, Grace used his head. His header inside the near post after receiving a crossing pass from Zak Perry gave Gilboa a 3-2 lead with 36 minutes left.

Now, a 9-7 Gilboa squad that was in danger of missing sectional play will take a four-game winning streak into a Saturday quarterfinal at fifth-seeded Edmeston.

“The kids are coming together and working well together,” McGlynn said of the Wildcats’ late-season run. “They took it upon themselves to turn it around.”

Grace opened the scoring three minutes into play.

The Bulldogs answered with two goals by Mitch Reed to take a 2-1 lead. Reed with 25 minutes left in the first half and again 18 minutes later.

But Grace tied the score at 2, pouncing on a loose ball in the box and scoring from 10 yards 1:20 before halftime.

Reed nearly tied it for Delhi with about 15 minutes left. He took a hard shot from 18 yards, but goalie Philip Berger got just enough of it to keep it out of the goal.

“He made a diving save,” McGlynn said. “He barely got his fingers on it to deflect it. It was probably from 18 yards. It was a good shot and (Berger) made one (heck) of a save on it.”

Both teams took 11 shots and both goalies – Berger and Leon Cohane – finished with seven saves.

“I sure hope so,” McGlynn said when asked if his team can continue its run. “I would think we could play with anybody. We’re on a four-game win streak. We had to win out just to get into sectionals.”

Edmeston 3, Schenevus 0

Linton Wainright, Allen Wheeler and Austin Axtell scored as the fifth-seeded Panthers won a first-round game at home in the Section Four Class D tournament.

Wainright opened the scoring on a penalty kick in the first half. It came after an Edmeston player was pushed inside the penalty box.

Wheeler made it 2-0 with 18 minutes left. He scored to the far post from the top of the post.

“The shot was like the one that beat us on Saturday,” Edmeston coach Ken Plows said in reference to Wyatt Crowley’s winner in the second overtime that gave Cherry Valley-Springfield a 3-2 victory in the Tri-Valley League title game. “He hit it to the far opposite side of the goal and drilled a nice shot.”

Axtell capped the scoring five minutes later off a pass from Dante Cornnell.

Schenevus (7-7-2), the 12th seed, was outshot, 14-11, but had a 7-4 advantage in corner kicks.

“They definitely kept coming at us,” Plows said of the Dragons. “We felt we had a little better time control of the ball, but we were letting them through and they were getting some shots.”

Edmeston’s Logan Vibbard and counterpart Robert Burton each made nine saves.

The Panthers will host 13th-seeded Gilboa on Saturday.

“We’re definitely playing good soccer right now,” Plows said. “If we keep playing like we are, we should be in good shape, as long as we stay healthy.”

SK 4, Stamford 3

The second of Sam Fabrykiewicz’s two goals came with 1 minute, 34 seconds left in regulation and lifted South Kortright to a first-round victory in the Section Four Class D tournament.

The victory earned the seventh-seeded Rams (10-4-2) a quarterfinal matchup at No. 2 Cherry Valley-Springfield (15-1) on Saturday. The time for the game has not been set.

Of Fabrykiewicz’s winner, SK coach Bob VanValkenburgh said: “He hit a rocket from about 24 yards out.”

Stamford, the No. 10 seed, tied the score at 3 with nine minutes left. Dustin King headed in a crossing pass from Glen Cioccari.

“Give Stamford credit,” VanValkenburgh said. “They came back and tied it up. It was a real good ballgame today.”

Liam Collins gave the Indians a 1-0 lead six minutes into play. He finished a pass from Cioccari. SK tied it 15 seconds later when Ryan Sluiter scored off an assist from Fabrykiewicz.

The Indians (8-6-1) made it 2-1 on a penalty kick by Cioccari late in the first half.

Fabrykiewicz and Ty Lamport then scored consecutively in the second half to give SK a 3-2 lead.

“I saw them a little bit Saturday,” VanValkenburgh said of CV-S’ 3-2 overtime win against Edmeston in the Tri-Valley League final. “It’s going to be a tough matchup, but this time of the year you’re just happy to keep playing. They play a possessive game, so you can’t key on one guy. It should be a good game.”

Davenport 1, Franklin 0

Michael Libby’s goal with 25 minutes left in the first half helped host Davenport to a Section Four Class D first-round victory.

Bailey Banks set up the goal for the third-seeded Wildcats (13-3), who will play host to sixth-seeded Milford on Saturday at a time to be announced.

Banks had possession just outside the penalty box before sending a throughball to Libby, who touched it twice along the right side of the box before scoring on a hard shot inside the far post.

“It was such a quick shot at the edge of the 6,” Davenport coach Deb Moorby said.

The Wildcats (13-3) outshot 14th-seeded Franklin, 18-5. Turner Thies made 13 saves for the Purple Devils, whose season ended at 6-8-2.

“Franklin came out strong in the second half,” Moorby said.

Moorby added that Davenport goalie Chris Kopf made couple of nice saves, including one on a direct kick late in the second half. Kopf had five saves in the shutout.

Davenport will face a Milford squad that defeated Roxbury, 4-0, Wednesday.

Milford 4, Roxbury 0

Peyton Griffiths finished with a goal and an assist to lead sixth-seeded Milford to a Section Four Class D first round victory at home.

A corner kick from William Ward set up Griffiths’ goal. He finished at the near post from 5 yards to make it 1-0 13 minutes into play.

Teammate Blake Elliott made it 2-0 with 18 minutes left in the second half, scoring off a throughball from Ward.

Eli Rutledge also scored for the Wildcats, who also benefited from an own goal. The Wildcats held a 10-6 advantage in shots.

Milford (13-4) will play at third-seeded Davenport in a Section Four Class D quarterfinal Saturday.

Morris 1, Southern Cayuga 0

Mike Murphy scored on a penalty kick with 13:55 left in the first half of ninth-seeded Morris’ Section Four Class D first-round win at No. 8 Southern Cayuga.

Morris coach Dave Sander said a ball was served into the box from the right side and an SC defender stuck his arm out and stopped the ball to set up the penalty kick.

Murphy scored cleanly to the lower left corner.

“There was a lot of even play,” said Sander, whose team had a 6-4 advantage in shots. “They were 4-8-2, but you could tell they played some bigger schools. They were really good up front. We were fortunate to get that one.”

Aidan Staib made four saves to get the shutout.

Next for the 9-5-2 Mustangs is a sectional semifinal at top-seeded Margaretville on Friday.

“They’re fast, they’re skilled and they know the game of soccer over there,” Sander said of a 15-0 Blue Devils squad that beat South Kortright, 4-1, in Saturday’s Delaware League final. “They’re impressive to watch. It’ll be tough, but we have a chance. We’re going to have to possess the ball.”