The Daily Star, Oneonta, NY - otsego county news, delaware county news, oneonta news, oneonta sports

October 30, 2013

Hartwick men tie Albany

The Daily Star


Mateo Munarriz made two saves for his fourth shutout of the season, but Hartwick College and host University at Albany tied, 0-0, in a non-conference men’s soccer game Tuesday night.

It marks the second straight tie for the Hawks, who played Bowling Green to a 1-1 draw Saturday.

Hartwick (4-7-4, 2-2-1 Mid-American Conference ) return home at 3 p.m. Saturday for a critical MAC game against Northern Illinois.

The Great Danes finished with a 12-9 advantage in shots, but Hartwick had more shots on goal, 4-2.

Michael Pizzuti made four saves for Albany.

“Overall we’re not disappointed,” Hartwick coach John Scott said in a media release sent by the school. “We could have been better in the final third, but to play 110 minutes Saturday with a long trip back and having to go another 110 tonight, it’s not a bad result.” 

Albany (4-9-4) outshot the Hawks, 3-2, in the first half of play. The Danes’ first two shots in the opening 19 minutes were well high of the Hartwick goal and the third was wide of the target. Nick Hills had Hartwick’s first shot in the 28th minute, which went high. Jhevaughn Beckford put a shot on frame late in the half from long range which Pizzuti saved.

Albany’s best chance came in the 57th minute. Anthony Rozanno had the ball in the middle of the field about 25 yards away from Hartwick’s goal. The Hawks’ defenders did not close him down and after a few touches Rozanno sent a liner that deflected off the goal post.

Hartwick’s best opportunity came in the waning minutes of regulation. Susquehanna Valley graduate Mike Rood took a corner kick in the 82nd minute was met perfectly by defender Matthew Robertson in the box. His powerful header looked destined for goal but Pizzuti made a diving save to keep the ball out. 

The Great Danes took a pair of corners and two shots in the first 10-minute overtime but both were off the mark. The Hawks thought they had scored the winner in the second overtime as Max Walcott headed in a service into the Albany goal, but the head official had blown the whistle for a foul just before the goal.

“To be honest, we’re still bemused at where the foul occurred,” Scott said. 

Hartwick wraps up its MAC schedule with NIU Saturday. The Hawks can all but sew up their first MAC Tournament appearance since 2009 with a victory over the Huskies.