NASCAR said both Penske cars used parts that had not been approved before getting to Texas. This is the first year of the series’ new cars that underwent nearly two years of testing before their debuts.
With the team manager and the engineers of both cars also being suspended, the penalties against the Penske teams went further than last season, when Jimmie Johnson’s No. 48 car failed the opening day inspection at the Daytona 500. Five-time championship winning crew chief Chad Knaus and the car chief for that Hendrick Motorsports car were suspended for six races.
Knaus still had to pay a $100,000 fine, but the bulk of the penalties levied against him and the car chief were later overturned by NASCAR’s chief appellate officer, the highest level of appeal. Johnson also got back 25 points that had been docked.
Logano said Wednesday on NASCAR Race Hub that the fines and penalties won’t be a distraction for Penske Racing.
“We can definitely move ahead. We are ready for that and obviously we have talked a lot about it,” said Logano, whose appearance on the Speed Channel show was previously scheduled. “Penske Racing has a lot of depth inside the company, and we can make adjustments to make sure we still run well.
“I think it goes to show we made some adjustments before the race started and we still were able to come home with a top-five finish,” he said, also noting Keselowski’s top-10 finish. “Proud of that effort in Texas, and especially after all of the adversity there. I think it says a lot about our company.”
Keselowski, who has six top-10 finishes, got a penalty a week earlier at Martinsville for pitting outside his stall. He still disputes that.
“There’s so much stuff going on. You guys have no idea ... what’s going on,” Keselowski said Saturday night. “I could tell you there is nobody, no team in this garage with the integrity of the 2 team. And the way we’ve been treated over the last seven days is absolutely shameful.”