The Daily Star, Oneonta, NY - otsego county news, delaware county news, oneonta news, oneonta sports

Mark Simonson

May 13, 2013

Politics, fitness and landmarks dominated local news in May 1968

(Continued)

There had been fears that NYSEG would cease operations and remove the dam, taking away the lake in the highly populated area, created over 60 years earlier.

While that landmark stayed, another that had been at Hartwick College since 1948 was ready for demolition. The Fieldhouse, a Navy World War II surplus building, was being removed to make way for the Edward W. Shineman Chapel House.

“A landmark for two decades,” the Star reported on May 18, “its passing will stir the ghosts of past games, dance bands, speakers of renown and repute, assorted convocations as well as Commencements and Baccalaureates.”

The Binder Physical Education Building, named after former college president Frederick Binder, was opened later that year.

This weekend: Oneonta debated Sunday movie showings in the 1930s.

City Historian Mark Simonson’s column appears twice weekly. On Saturdays, his column focuses on the area during the Depression and before. His Monday columns address local history after the Depression. If you have feedback or ideas about the column, write to him at The Daily Star, or email him at simmark@stny.rr.com. His website is www.oneontahistorian.com. His columns can be found at www.thedailystar.com/marksimonson.

Text Only
Mark Simonson

Additional Content
Join the Debate
Helium
Additional Resources
CNHI News Service
Poll

Is Israel justified to conduct its military campaign against the Hamas in Gaza?

Yes
No
Undecided/no opinion
     View Results