I asked Samantha to summarize her professional advice for students who feel they may want to enter the Music Industry as musical performers.
Samantha’s Music Industry Tips
1. Be proactive and don’t expect anyone to do anything for you.
2. Always sit in and play with people you don’t know. This is a good way to meet other musicians. If you sound good, you’ll get a call.
3. Read music, improvise. Throw yourself into new musical projects, even if you’re not as good as some of the other musicians who specialize in another style.
4.Go out a lot to hear good music. If you don’t support other musicians, they won’t support you.
5. Stay healthy. You can’t perform if you’re not well.
6. Go outside your comfort level. You really have to be able to do as much as you possibly can.Don’t limit yourself. Expand the stuff you can do and your musical skills.
7. Your personal life will not be like other people’s personal lives. I devote 98 percent of my time to music because that’s what I want to do, and that’s what I need to do to promote the band, build our website, and book jobs. If you have a passion for music, you can piece things together and make a very satisfying living. I love my life and I’m doing exactly what I want to do.