Fran began his athletic career playing high school sports in Walton and continued as a standout football player at Cortland State. He attended Cortland on the G.I. Bill following his service in World War II. He served in the U.S. Army Air Corps in Europe from 1942-1945. Fran graduated from Cortland in 1948. The following school year he began his career in The Sidney Central School system. He taught Physical Education, Health Education, coached football, basketball and track. He also started and coached the wrestling program. Throughout his career he served as the district’s Athletic Director as well as High School Assistant Principal.
During his 31 years in the Sidney School District, he was involved in many organizations that supported and promoted student athletics. He served as the Athletic Secretary for the Susquenango League for 20 years. He was the Susquenango representative to Section IV for 20 years and president of Section IV Athletics for three years. Fran was one of only two people who served as President for 3 years.
For 18 years he served as Director of the Sidney Summer Recreation Commission Program. In 1968, the governor appointed Fran to develop and direct five summer camps from Buffalo to Albany. This was under the NYS Division for Youth. It was designed to provide an outdoor experience for economically disadvantaged youth.
Recognizing the successful Physical Education and Athletic Program at Sidney, Cortland State University placed more than 200 student teachers in Sidney under his supervision. He was also a visiting instructor at the university in its student teaching program.
In the community, Fran was a long-time member of the Sidney Emergency Squad, served on the Board of Trustees of The Hospital in Sidney and served on the Advisory Board for the New York State Division for Youth at Camp Brace.
In recognition of his many achievements and his service to young people, Fran received many awards. In 1979, he received the Citizen of the Year Award from the Sidney Chamber of Commerce. In 1980, he was elected to the Section IV Hall of Fame. In 1982, he was inducted into the Cortland State “C” Club Hall of Fame.