The Daily Star
---- — The gas industry and its supporters clamor there is no science to prove danger from fracking.
There is a tremendous amount. Either they lie or they do not know. On my computer, I have bookmarked more than 700 government reports, university studies and journalists’ investigations showing the negative impacts of fracking, such as:
• “Practice of injecting water into deep rock formations causes earthquakes,” U.S. Geological Survey, November 2011.
• “Shale gas will not create 200,000 Ohio jobs by 2015,” Ohio State University, December 2011.
• “Millions of barrels of wastewater from unconventional wells in Pennsylvania and conventional wells in New York 3,609 times more radioactive than federal limit for drinking water, 300 times more radioactive than Nuclear Regulatory Commission limit for nuclear plant discharges,” USGS, Penn State University, February 2012.
• “Survey: Drilling isn’t bringing in much tax money,” Penn State Cooperative Extension, March 2012.
• “High methane emissions measured over gas field offset climate benefits of natural gas,” National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration-University of Colorado, February 2012.
• “Breast Cancer Rises Near Fracking,” Centers for Disease Control, November 2011.
• “3,355 violations in Marcellus over last four years by gas operators unable/unwilling to comply with environmental laws,” Pennsylvania Environment Policy Center, January 2012.
• “Wyoming groundwater again tests positive for fracking related chemicals,” USGS, September 2012.
• “Over 50 NMHCs found near gas wells in rural Colorado, including 35 that affect the brain and nervous system at levels to potentially harm children exposed before birth.” Journal of Human & Ecological Risk Assessment, December 2012.
Responsibility for ignorance of the science about fracking rests squarely on our supposed government watchdogs, the Environmental Protection Agency and state Department of Environmental Conservation, for their spinelessness in telling truth to power and to the public. Unless everyone has all the information, the future is grim indeed.
Carole Satrina Marner