The Daily Star
---- — Farmers’ markets are now open to provide farm fresh fruits and vegetables for good health and nutrition. Again this year, Delaware County senior citizens may take advantage of the Farmers Market Coupon Program to receive $20 worth of free locally grown produce.
Delaware County Office for the Aging will coordinate the distribution of the booklets for households of eligible seniors.
Seniors, age 60 or older, who are Delaware County residents and are receiving or who are eligible for SSI, public assistance or Section 8 housing subsidy are eligible to receive the coupons. Also, households that are within the following income guidelines are eligible to receive the Farmers Market Coupons: a one-person household with a gross income of less than $1,772 per month; a two-person household with a combined gross income of less than $2,392 per month.
Only one coupon booklet is allowed per household.
Eligible seniors may pick up coupons at the Office for the Aging at 6 Court St. in Delhi, between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. The Delhi market is open from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesdays. Other distribution sites include senior dining centers and senior housing units. Only those who have access to the markets or have family and friends who may redeem them should request coupon booklets.
The following is the distribution schedule:
• Delhi Senior Dining Center, First Presbyterian Church, 4 Clinton St.,11:15 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. July 24.
• Deposit Senior Dining Center, Christ Episcopal Church, 14 Monument St., 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. July 30.
• Grand Gorge Senior Dining Center, Grand Gorge Civic Center, state Route 30, 11:15 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. July 19.
• Hancock Senior Dining Center, Hancock Baptist Church, 232 Wheeler St., 11:15 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. July 26.
• Middletown Senior Dining Center, Methodist Church, 55 Church St., Margaretville, 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. July 29.
• Sidney Senior Dining Center, Sidney Civic Center, 21 Liberty St., 11 to 12:30 p.m. July 25.
• Walton Senior Dining Center, St. John the Baptist Roman Catholic Church, 15 Benton Ave., 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. July 23.
Coupons will also be distributed at the following housing complexes for their eligible residents age 60 or older:
• Delhi Senior Community, available on-site from Lara Yambor as of July 16
• Grand Gorge Senior Housing, 12:15 a.m. July 19.
• Meadowpark Apartments, Deposit, 10 to 10:45 a.m. July 30.
• Mountain Laurel Gardens, Arkville, TBA.
• Read Memorial Apartments, Hancock, 10 to 11 a.m. July 26.
• Sidney Senior Village, 10 to 10:45 a.m. July 25.
• Stamford Village Apartments, 10 to 10:45 a.m. July 19.
Below is a list of local Farmers Markets that accept Farmers’ Market coupons.
Callicoon: Callicoon Creek Park, Audrey Dorrer Drive, Indoor-Delware Youth Center, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sundays, indoor alternate Sundays, year-round.
Delhi: Courthouse Square, Main Street, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesdays, through Oct. 2.
Deposit: KooKoose Farmers Market, Memorial Park on Front Street, across from Village Hall and movie theater, 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Saturdays through Sept. 7; First United Methodist Church, 107 Second St., 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Thursdays, Aug. 15 and Sept. 19.
Halcottsville: Pakatakan Farmers Market, Round Barn, 46676 State Highway 30, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturdays, through Oct. 12.
Hobart: Stamford Town Hall Green, 101 Maple Ave., 4 to 7 p.m. Fridays through Sept. 27.
Kingston: Kingston Farmers’ Market, Wall Street, between John & N. Front streets, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturdays; Winter, Old Dutch Church), 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. first and third Saturdays.
Oneonta: Oneonta Farmers’ Market, Muller Plaza, Main Street, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturdays; January through May, Main Street garage walkway, second and fourth Saturdays.
Sidney: Video Entertainment Lot, 89 Main Street, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Tuesdays, through Sept. 24.
Walton: UHS Delaware Valley Hospital, 2 Titus Place, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Aug. 7 to Sept. 4.
The Farmers Market Nutrition Program, now a permanent federal program, is sponsored by New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets, New York State Department of Health, New York State Office for the Aging, Cornell Cooperative Extension, and the U.S. Department of Agriculture Food and Nutrition Service. For more information, call Ella Ladlee or Drue Brenner at Delaware County Office for the Aging at 746-6333.