The Daily Star, Oneonta, NY - otsego county news, delaware county news, oneonta news, oneonta sports

Senior scene

June 22, 2013

From the Office: Elder abuse can take on many different forms


Concerns about nursing homes or assisted-living facilities can be raised directly to staff at the facility or complaints can be filed with New York State. To lodge a complaint against a nursing home, a complaint should be filed in writing with the state Department of Health by completing the Nursing Home Complaint Form, which is available on line. To lodge a complaint against an assisted living facility call (866) 893-6772.

The most important thing to remember is that elder abuse can be prevented if family, friends, medical professionals, social service and government agencies work together. In the unfortunate cases where abuse has already occurred, these individuals and groups can help the senior obtain redress for the harm done to them.

Wayne Shepard is director of the Delaware County Office for the Aging. ‘Senior Scene’ columns can be found at

Text Only
Senior scene

Additional Content
Join the Debate
Additional Resources
CNHI News Service

Do you plan to attend the Baseball Hall of Fame Induction?

Not sure
     View Results