The Daily Star, Oneonta, NY - otsego county news, delaware county news, oneonta news, oneonta sports

March 30, 2013

Step Back in Time: March 30, 2013

The Daily Star

---- — Step Back in Time features news items from The Daily Star 25 and 50 years ago.

25 years ago

March 30, 1988

SIDNEY — The Hospital will purchase a new patient monitoring system for the Intensive Care Unit thanks to the generosity of the community.

Dr. Linda Gush, chairperson of the public relations committee reports that the “Gift of Life” campaign raised $66,800. “We are thrilled with the results of our second annual capital equipment drive. One hundred twelve individuals and businesses contributed $66,800 to the ‘Gift of Life’ campaign this year.” Last year 40 contributors generated $25,442 for the annual equipment campaign.

Leo G. Friel, chief executive officer of The Hospital, Sidney, explained that several systems have been evaluated by physicians and the Intensive Care nursing staff. “The generosity of the many contributors to the ‘Gift of Life’ campaign will enable us to finalize the selection process.”

The new patient monitoring system will replace a cardiac monitoring system installed in 1973. Since then more than 5,000 patients admitted to the ICU have benefited from the use of this specialized equipment.

Officials at The Hospital, Sidney, expressed appreciation to everyone who has made this fundraising appeal a success including the most recent donors: Sidney Elks Club; Owen and Betty Dewey; William and Audrey Baldwin; Ester S. Day in memory of Tracy C. Day; James Cuzytek in memory of Louis Parent; Florence Boron in memory of Louis Parent; Josephine Harper in memory of Louis Parent; Charles and Linda Gush; Mr. and Mrs. Raymond Haag; Lori and Leo Friel; The Hospital Guild.

50 years ago

March 30, 1963

Production at the Two-Thirteen Dress Company idled Friday in a one day “call out” of employees caused by a dispute between the International Ladies Garment Workers Union and Two-Thirteen management, will resume at 8 a.m. Monday.

The stoppage came to an end, union officials said, when management agreed to the stipulations demanded by the union.

In announcing that the out-again-in-again work stoppage was over, ILGWU District manager Alex Karesky voiced a call to all Two-Thirteen employees to be on the job Monday morning.

In a statement Mr. Karesky said “the stoppage occurred due to a contract violation concerning management’s refusal to negotiate and submit settled piece rates on dresses, and failure to pay dress minimums which is $1.85 per hour.”

“Late this evening the stoppage was halted when management agreed to recognize and submit piece rates, price settlement sheets, and to pay dresses minimums,” the District Manager reported.

Oneonta became aware that a potential labor dispute was in the making late Thursday when a two and a half hour meeting of Local 345 with Mr. Karesky and Local Business Agent Bernie Lurye at the Oneonta Hotel was revealed.