The clock, the gift of Thomas R. Proctor of Utica, was designed by Gorham and was given to the village in honor of a prominent citizen. It was first put into operation on Sept. 11, 1918.
In April of 1953, during the administration of Harold W. Congdon a newspaper account stated:
“The State Traffic Department’s opinion is that the clock now presents four problems: Road block, obstructing view of new traffic light, does not afford island of safety for pedestrians; and presents a traffic hazard when large trucks have to pass on left-hand side of clock.”
At that time the removal of the clock was under discussion to further a state paving project to include the village.