Step Back in Time features news items from The Daily Star 25 and 50 years ago.
25 years ago
July 6, 1988
COOPERSTOWN — With a eucharistic service July 3, the Rev. Canon George Frederick French brought to a close his 33 year ministry to Christ Church, the longest in its 178 year history, and marked by a dedication and devotion to his parishioners.
Canon French was recognized for contributions which reached far beyond the duties of conducting regular and special services, administering the sacraments, and visiting the sick and shut-ins. Starting with his arrival at Christ Church Aug. 19, 1955; and continuing to the present, he was involved in many other needs of the parish.
He provided leadership which brought the physical plant of the parish in top condition after raising more than $65,000 for capital projects.
Prior to coming to Christ Church as rector, Canon French served three years as curate of St. George’s in Schenectady. He served three-and-a-half years in the Sixth Air Force in the Panama Canal Zone and after the war attended Brown University, where he was awarded his A.B. degree in 1949, and his master of divinity degree from the General Theological Seminary in 1952. He studied at Kings College of Cambridge University in England in 1980 while on sabbatical leave from Christ Church. That same year he was made an Honorary Canon of the Cathedral of All Saints in Albany.
50 years ago
July 6, 1963
Members of the congregation of St. Matthew Lutheran Church in Laurens really live their religion.
So much so that, in order to provide a place for their new pastor, they are building a home for him and his family with their own hands.
A considerable boost is being given the hardworking congregation members by carpenters from the local union who have volunteered their expert services to the cause.
Mr. and Mrs. Donald Almy are due here in September to help with the St. Matthew church work. Mr. and Mrs. Almy are to occupy the new building and work is being rushed in order that the building be ready. Target date for completion is Labor Day.
Work day was held last Saturday and another “bee” is scheduled today. The site of the home is the Oscar Ryder property next to the church. A section of the old home remains standing and will be part of the completed home when it is finished.
Mr. Almy comes here from Gettysburg where he has completed two years at the Lutheran seminary. St. Matthew’s congregation and the congregation of the Atonement Lutheran Church in Oneonta are cooperating to bring him here for a year as part of the seminary program of intern training. He graduated from Hartwick College in 1961.
Oliver Hall, Victor Dulkis, John Schrully and Frederick Jacobsen are the members of the local carpenters union who donated their services in the work bees at the new home site. Aage Richardson, president of the congregation, led these members of the congregation at last Saturday’s work session: Rudolph Anderson, Frank Nystrom, Eric Ernst, Sherwood Enck, Thorman Nordberg, Grant Moxley and Robert Nelson.