Blaze leaves pair homeless

COBLESKILL _ A blaze that grew out of a chimney fire at a home on Tower Road on Saturday night has left a Cobleskill couple homeless.

The fire struck the home of Terry McGiver and he and his wife were in the residence at the time, Cobleskill Fire Chief Richard Cooper said Sunday night.

McGiver and his wife escaped unharmed with their cats, Cooper said.

The fire broke out around 11:20 p.m. and Cobleskill firefighters responded, with mutual aid coming from Richmondville, Central Bridge, West Fulton, Schoharie and Middleburgh fire departments. Sharon Springs stood by at Cobleskill's station.

There were about 35 to 40 firefighters on the scene and no injuries were reported, Cooper said.

The home was destroyed and said he was not sure what the couple could salvage. He said he believed they were staying with family members.

Firefighters were at the scene for the rest of the night, with Cobleskill going back in service at 5:45 a.m.

Teens charged with burglary

OTEGO _ Two Bainbridge teenagers face burglary charges for allegedly breaking into a home on county Route 48 last week and damaging it.

Brandon H. Burns, 17, and Derek R. Nutter, 19, were caught within a few hours after the Jan. 9 break-in and charged with first-degree burglary, endangering the welfare of a child, second-degree criminal mischief, second-degree harassment, according to a media release from the Otsego County Sheriff's Department.

The teens broke into the home, caused damage to a door frame and left the interior in disarray, deputies said.

The owners were home, along with an 8-year-old child, which prompted the endangering the welfare of a child charge.

The owner of the home was a relative of one of the teens, although which one wasn't specified, deputies said.

Burns and Nutter were sent to the Otsego County jail without bail to appear in Otego Town Court at a later date.

Trending Video

Recommended for you