Lightning is the suspected cause of a fire that damaged a house in Hartwick Seminary on Monday, a fire official said.
In Oneonta, a tree fell into the roadway near the intersection of Church and Walnuts streets after heavy rainfall Monday. Utility crews had to turn off power to that area while they cleared the site, an Oneonta fire official said.
Otsego and Chenango deputies reported that trees and wires were down, but Delaware deputies had no reports of storm damage.
Michael Basile, chief of the Hartwick Seminary Fire Department, said no one was hurt at the fire at 379 Greenough Road in the town of Hartwick. But the resident's dog died, even though crews rescued the dog from an upstairs floor, then gave it chest compressions and took it to a veterinarian.
Basile didn't immediately have the resident's name or where she found shelter Monday night. The investigation will continue today.
Basile said a preliminary report indicates lightning struck a tree that was connected by a cable to the house, and the lightning went through the eaves into the attic. An initial, incorrect report was that the fire was in the basement, he said, and another setback was that the blaze had been going for about 45 minutes before crews arrived.
The house had layers of floors and ceilings from renovations, and that slowed access to the fire, Basile said. About 15 firefighters were at the station on standby Monday because of National Baseball Hall of Fame events, he said, and the volunteer crews couldn't have arrived at the fire scene any sooner.
Much of the structure remains standing, Basile said. The home could be repaired, he said, and officials talked about contacting the insurer.
Crews were out from about 3 p.m. until after 9:30 p.m.