MASONVILLE _ Fire destroyed a single-family home on Steam Mill Road in the town of Masonville on Sunday night, a fire official said.

No one was hurt in the blaze, reported by a neighbor who called 911, Chief Gregory Tiska of the Masonville Fire Department said Monday night. Crews were out from about 6:30 to 10:40 p.m. Sunday, according to the Delaware County fire log.

The Red Cross assisted Lauren Wormuth, who was living in the house and was at home when the fire started, Tiska said, and Wormuth may be staying with relatives.

About 40 firefighters were at the scene, Tiska said, and many tankers were used to shuttle water from a stream near the former Masonville Elementary School. Icy roads hampered the response, he said.

By the time crews arrived, there was no opportunity to save the wooden structure, Tiska said.

The cause was determined Monday to be an improperly installed wood stove.

Details of ownership and insurance coverage were unclear Monday night, Tiska said. Crews from Afton, Bainbridge, Sidney, Trout Creek and Walton provided mutual aid.

Trending Video

Recommended for you