Two Maryland teenagers being held without bail in connection with the April 13 robbery and slaying of Lindsay Marie Harvey were invited by the alleged shooter to participate, according to police.

Harvey, 25, a 2000 graduate of Oneonta High School, was found dead from a single gunshot wound to the head near a trash bin outside her home at Grove Park Apartments in Gaithersburg, Md.

Shawn M. Henderson, 25, of Hyattsville, Md., was arrested April 15 and charged with first-degree murder.

Anthony Steven Moore, 16, and Aaron Michael Shepherd, 19, both of Gaithersburg, were originally identified by police as witnesses in the case, but they were arrested Wednesday and charged with first-degree murder, armed robbery and conspiracy to commit armed robbery.

On Thursday, Montgomery County (Md.) District Court Judge Louis D. Harrington ordered them held without bail, according to

The teens were interviewed by police April 14 after a concerned citizen implicated Henderson in the alleged murder, according to court documents.

Moore and Shepherd told police that they were among a group of people gathered at the Grove Park Apartments in the hours before the slaying when Henderson, brandishing a semi-automatic handgun and saying he was going to rob someone, approached the group and "solicited" people to join him, the documents state.

Moore and Shepherd gathered their hooded jackets in an attempt to conceal their identities and left with Henderson, police said

"They were along for the robbery," said Lt. Michael Mancuso of Montgomery County police. "They say they didn't know they were going to kill someone."

The arrest of the teens comes more than two months after the slaying and their initial interviews with police.

"We had a strategy on it," Mancuso said. "We were hoping they would come forward more."

Mancuso said the main target of the investigation is Henderson, who has a history of similar, violent attacks on men and women.

"We're really going after him," Mancuso said.

Henderson was convicted of similar robberies in 1999, Mancuso said.

In those robberies, Henderson attacked people with a knife after he got what he wanted from the robbery, he said.

This was the same situation with Harvey's murder, Mancuso said.

"He got the property and then shot her," he said.

Harvey's purse was identified in court documents as being the item stolen from her.

Harvey had been out with friends earlier that night and had been dropped off near her apartment between 1:30 a.m. and 1:45 a.m. on April 13. Her body was found at about 2 p.m. that day behind a trash bin, about 90 feet from where her car was parked on the street, according to court documents.

Assistant State's Attorney George Simms said Moore is being charged as an adult. His preliminary hearing is June 20.

Shepherd has a preliminary hearing scheduled for July 18. Henderson is scheduled to go to trial Oct. 6, Simms said.

Police provided mug shots of Henderson and Shepherd, but said they could not release one for Moore due to his age.

Harvey, a 2000 graduate of Oneonta High School, worked as a DNA analyst for the Armed Forces DNA Identification Laboratory of the Armed Forces Medical Examiner's System after attending Binghamton University. She was the daughter of Craig Harvey and Debra Lynd Harvey of Oneonta.

Henderson was originally sentenced to 12 years in prison for three robbery attempts in 1999 that resulted in stabbed or slashed throats, according to the Washington Times.

The same judge, Durke Thompson, reduced the sentence to 10 years, and Henderson was paroled in 2006 after serving six years in prison for the three crimes, the Times reported.

"That's a whole other story," Mancuso said.

Trending Video

Recommended for you