SIDNEY _ Cleanup began Tuesday at the Whitaker and Son car dealership building destroyed by fire Aug. 30 on Main Street in the village of Sidney.
The blaze, started by two area teenagers smoking cigars, was ruled accidental.
Owner Glen E. "Whit" Whitaker said the parts and service department located at that building has been moved to a temporary site on River Street.
The sales department, located at a separate location on Main Street, has continued operations uninterrupted during this time. That building is part of a site being considered by Rite Aid for a new location. Whitaker had no comment on those plans.
The work at the site of the fire-ravaged building is being monitored by Jennings Environmental Management Inc. of Binghamton, Whitaker said.
This is required at such fire sites, said Gerald Meyer, Jennings assistant director of technical operations. He said he did not expect any risk to the health of residents from the removal of material, which includes non-friable asbestos. It is less likely to become airborne than other types of asbestos, he said.
The work is scheduled to take three weeks, Meyer said, but he hopes to get it done sooner.
Whitaker said the demolition and removal is being done by Waste Recovery Enterprises of Sidney.