SCHOHARIE — A museum in Schoharie is one of this year’s Preserve New York grantees.
According to a media release, the amount of $3,968 will allow Schoharie County and the Schoharie County Historical Society to hire Mesick Cohen Wilson Baker of Albany to complete a building condition report of the Old Stone Fort Museum.
Findings will be used to help guide future maintenance efforts.
County and museum administrators want to understand the condition of the building before proceeding with repairs or maintenance, as areas of concern have reportedly already been identified.
Schoharie County and the Schoharie County Historical Society operate and steward the Old Stone Fort as a museum and programming space.
As further stated in the release, the structure was built in 1772 by Palatine settlers in the Schoharie Valley as a High Dutch (German) Reformed Church. During the Revolutionary War, the building was converted to use as a fort.
New York State purchased the fort in 1857 and modified it to use as an armory during the Civil War.
In 1873, NYS turned the building over to Schoharie County for preservation.
The Historical Society was chartered in 1889 and has operated as a museum ever since.
In 2002, the Old Stone Fort was added to the State and National Registers of Historic Places.
Visit www.oldstonefort.org for more information.