Top students who graduated in June from high schools in The Daily Star’s coverage area are recognized here in the second of two installments. The first installment appeared on Page 4 of the edition of Tuesday, Aug. 6.

COOPERSTOWN

Josephine Hovis is one of the four top students of the Class of 2019 at Cooperstown Central School. She plans on attending Davidson College in the fall. A Rotary and Hugh O’Brien Youth Leader, she was also an active member of the Leo Club and a volunteer research assistant for the Glimmerglass Opera. She also volunteered her time at the community Kid Garden at Cooperstown Elementary School, Mohawk Valley Resource Center for Refugees and Living Waters of the World Mission Team. She is a 2019 National Merit Scholarship program commendation recipient and was chosen to attend the New England Young Writers Conference at Middlebury College.

Genevieve Landry is one of the four top students of the Class of 2019 at Cooperstown Central School. She plans pn attending the University of British Columbia in the fall. Landy received the Frederick Douglass and Susan B. Anthony Award. She participated in school musicals and band. She plays the viola. She also played soccer, hockey and is a horseback rider. She was a member of the Ski Club. When not in school, she worked as a cashier, innkeepr, cake decorator and server.

William Friedman is one of the top four students of the Class of 2019 at Cooperstown Central School. Described as being proficient in French, he excelled in singing, skiing, sailing and swimming. He volunteered at Temple Beth El, Bassett Hospital and Leo Club events. He has traveled to Europe, Mexico and various Caribbean destinations. He has worked as a dock attendant and babysitter and participted in programs at Columbia University and Herkimer County Community College.

Kai A. Wasson is one of the top four students of the Class of 2019 at Cooperstown Central School. He plans on attending American University in the fall. His senior year was spent in the New Visions Healthcare Career Exploration Program at BOCES and taking courses for college credit in writing and advanced sciences. He was a Leo Club and Envirothon Club member and a mentor for students through the College for Every Student program. A scholar-athlete, Wasson was also involved in theater, student government and the Battle of the Books library competition. He held jobs at Glimmerglass Opera and the National Baseball Hall of Fame.

LAURENS

Hayley Rae Martin is valedictorian of the Class of 2019 at Laurens Central School. She is the daughter of Teresa Johnson and Randy Martin. A three-sport and scholar-athlete, she played soccer and softball and ran indoor track. She is also a United State Marine Corps Distinguished Athlete. Martin was secretary of the Student Council. She plans on attending Wells College in Aurora in the fall to study business administration and play college soccer.

Jacob Lyons is salutatorian of the Class of 2019 at Laurens Central School. He is the son of Darrin and Lynette Lyons. He was a member of the varsity track team as a hurdler, and was also a member of the Garden Club, Drama Club, Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Choir, Chamber Choir, participated in the carbaret production, captained the Quiz Bowl and Envirothon teams and was basketball shot-clock operator. He plans on majoring in history and minoring in Classical Studies at SUNY Oneonta in the fall.

ONEONTA

Aben Carrington is valedictorian of the Class of 2019 at Oneonta High School. He is the son of Wayne and Rebecca Carrington. He plans on majoring in physics with a focus in astronomy at Hamilton College in Clinton in the fall.

Paul Zimmer is salutatorian of the Class of 2019 at Oneonta High School. He started school in Oneonta in the second grade. He and his family were new residents then. He was a member of the track and cross country teams, the student leadership program Link Crew and worked on the high school newspaper. He will attend the United States Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland, where he will study nuclear engineering and mathematics.

SHERBURNE-EARLVILLE

Adam Aldrich is valedictorian of the Class of 2019 at Sherburne-Earlville Central School. He is the son of Dan and Leanne Aldrich of Sherburne. He has been described as having an outstanding work ethic a scored a perfect school attendance record. He participated in all aspects of the school’s music offerings, including concert and marching bands and volunteered at the annual Sherburne Pageant of Bands as well as at other school events. He marched in the 2018 Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade. He was a member of the cross country and indoor and outdoor track and field teams. Aldrich plans to attend SUNY Cortland in the fall and will major in secondary biology education.

Rebecca Turner is salutatorian of the Class of 2019 at Sherburne-Earlville Central School. She is the daughter of Eric and Kathleen Turner of Sherburne. She has been described as a model student. She was a member of French Club, played varsity field hockey, participated in Mock Trial and school musicals. She also attended Ithaca Summer Music Academy and Crane Youth Music as well as Colleges United Field Hockey Camp at SUNY Oneonta. She volunteered as a freshman mentor, was assistant music director for the middle school musical and played piano for numerous productions. She also gave music lessons to children and assisted at the ticket window for the Syracuse Opera. In the fall, Turner will begin her studies in general communications at Endicott College in Massachusetts.

SOUTH KORTRIGHT

Anna Reinshagen is valedictorian of the Class of 2019 at South Kortright Central School. She is the daughter of Dennis and Mry Reinshagen of South Kortright. She participated in the College in High School program and graduated with 10 college credits. She received an Advanced Regents diploma with a mastery in science designation. She served as a Delaware County Dairy Ambassador and alternate Dairy Princess.

She played soccer, basketball and softball. Reinshagen has received numerous academic, sports and animal showmanship awards, scholarships and honors. She plans on attending SUNY Cortland to study athletic training and was awarded a $12,000 SUNY Cortland Merit Scholarship.

Jordan Finch, salutatorian of the Class of 2019 at South Kortright Central Schoool, has been described as a talented student-athlete. Her accomplishments have been recognized with numerous awards. Active in many school groups, she also participated in the College in High School program and graduated with 10 college credits. She was a peer tutor in the afterschool program. She played varsity soccer and basketball from the time she was a freshman and has coached elementary basketball. She also volunteered at an animal shelter, built gardens for the Bloomville Episcopal Church and participated in an Easter bunny photo shoot. Finch plans to study animal science at SUNY Cobleskill and received a $15,000 Presidential scholarship. Her goal is to become a veterinarian.

STAMFORD

Derek Stahl, son of Dean and Kimberly Stahl, is valedictorian of the Class of 2019 at Stamford Central School. During his senior year he worked as a teacher’s aide tutoring students in calculus I, a college-level course. He attended the National Youth Leadership Forum for engineering and technology at Olin College in Needham, Massachuseets and two Congress of Future Sciences and Techology Leaders seminars. He was honored by BOCES as a Student Scholar at the Scholar Recognition banquet in May. He has received multiple awards for academics and athletics. He plans to major in aerospace engineering at Embry Riddle Aeronatical Univeristy in Daytona Beach, Florida.

Brent Ogborn, son of Karl and Karen Ogborn of Hobart, is salutatorian of the Class of 2019 at Stamford Central School. He served as president of his class for three years and was active in school sports as a team player as well as a member of the Outdoor and Varisty clubs. He attended the National Youth Leadership Forum on engineering and technology. He was awarded the Clarkson University Award and Scholarship and will major in engineering and management there.

WALTON

Olivia Harby, daughter of Jay and Amy Harby, is valdictorian of the Class of 2019 at Walton Central School. She is credited with scoring 100% on three Regents examinations and her 1,000th point during basketball season. She was a Midstate Athletic Conference All-Star in basketball and soccer. She will attend Boston College in the fall.

Vincent Escobar is salutatorian of the Class of 2019 at Walton Central School. He is the son of Kathleen Cuomo. He is a National Hispanic Recognition Program scholar and Questbridge National College math scholar. He has a purple belt in Tae-Kwon-Do and played on the soccer and wrestling teams, earning the MAC scholar-athlete award in each sport. He plans on to major in mathematics and minor in finance at Princeton University.