The Schoharie County Office Complex has been approved for $4 million in funding under the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s Public Assistance Program to support new flood mitigation measures, according to a media release Thursday Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s office.

The complex was heavily damaged during Hurricane Irene in August of 2011.

This $4 million in federal funding will support the construction of a flood wall that will surround the complex and protect it from future flood damage. During Hurricane Irene, flooding caused severe damage to buildings, affecting for months county office functions and displacing agencies that provide services to residents of Schoharie County. 

Already, $6 million in repairs, document replacement and clean-up has been completed at the site. Federal funding covered 75 percent of this original phase, while the state provided the remaining 25 percent.

Trending Video

Recommended for you