DA wants three murder suspects tried as adults

Muehl

COOPERSTOWN — At a Wednesday bail hearing for the four teenagers charged in connection with the killing of a Worcester man last week, Otsego County District Attorney John Muehl said he intends to file a motion to prosecute three of them as adults.

Handcuffed at the wrists and ankles, the defendants — Anais Soto, 15, of Oneonta; Dylan Robinson, 15, of Oneonta; Alexander Borggreen, 16, of Oneonta; and Alexis Lottermann, 16, of Walton — each appeared with assigned defense counsel for the hearing before Judge John F. Lambert in Otsego County Court.

Soto, Robinson and Borggreen were arrested Oct. 11 and charged with second-degree murder and first-degree burglary, along with Nicolas Meridy, 32, of Oneonta. Lottermann was arrested over the weekend and charged with first-degree burglary, but not murder.

Muehl said the evidence substantiates that Soto, Robinson, Borggreen and Meridy were each armed with a rifle or shotgun when they entered the home of 53-year-old Worcester resident Kenneth W. Robinson the night of Oct. 10.

The victim, whom Muehl confirmed to be the father of Dylan Robinson, suffered multiple gunshot wounds during an apparent struggle with the alleged intruders and was found dead by emergency personnel who responded to reports of a fire at the residence later in the evening, according to state police.

As for Lottermann, Muehl said “there is no evidence at this point that she was in the residence, that she ever possessed any weapon or that she knew exactly what the plan was when the other individuals arrived at the house.”

State police said the alleged murder may have been motivated by robbery, but Muehl said what the suspects were after in the home remains unclear.

The victim’s two other children, ages 5 and 12, were in the residence at the time of the fire but escaped unharmed, according to police.

“We don’t believe they witnessed the shooting,” Muehl said.

At Muehl’s request, Judge Lambert set bail in the amounts of $25,000 cash and $50,000 bond for Soto, Robinson and Borggreen.

“I believe that there is certainly a serious flight risk, given the potential punishment they could receive, as well as the evidence against them, which is very strong,” Muehl said.

“Soto, Robinson and Borggreen are local,” he said. “They have parents that live in the area and siblings that live in this county — many of them are here in the courtroom today.”

Soto and Borggreen have no prior criminal history, according to Muehl, but Robinson may have a history of involvement with the probation department.

“They don’t have a lot of means to escape — they’re still in school,” Muehl continued. “However, judge, this is a very serious crime. The fact that somebody didn’t actually pull the trigger doesn’t matter in this case if the defendants were there and participating in the robbery or burglary. If someone was killed by any participant, they’re just as guilty as any other participant.”

For Lottermann, Muehl recommended bail at $5,000 cash or $10,000 bond.

“I have to be honest with the court that most of the evidence against her on that charge is not nearly as strong as the evidence is against the other three defendants,” Muehl said.

Judge Lambert sided with Lottermann’s attorney, Paul Madison, and set bail at $3,500 cash or $35,000 bond. Attorneys for the other three defendants reserved their right to submit written requests for a reduction in bail.

Soto, Robinson, Borggreen and Lottermann are scheduled to reappear in Otsego County Court on Friday, Nov. 1.

Meridy is scheduled to appear for a felony hearing Thursday, Oct. 17, in Worcester Town Court.

Sarah Eames, staff writer, can be reached at seames@thedailystar.com or 607-441-7213. Follow her @DS_SarahE on Twitter.

Recommended for you